Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Amphitrite

Inspiration
Amphitrite is not technically a Greek goddess. She is the consort of Poseidon, sometimes portrayed as a mermaid. She is not a goddess of anything, however, in Roman mythology, her counterpart is Salacia, goddess of saltwater. Amphitrite, as consort of Poseidon, resided under the sea, and was never seen above the surface.

Intent
Thinking about what living underwater would entail, or thinking about water itself, I decided I wanted to focus on waves. Waves are beautiful, with millions of shades of blue, white foam topping the crests. So, with that in mind, I wanted to create a sort of wave image on my eyes.
Tools & Techniques
From right to left: Violent Lips temporary tattoos in blue, Tarte Eyeliner in "Ballet Dancers" Sephora Eyeliner in White, Urban Decay 24/7 Liner in "Binge" and Urban Decay 24/7 Liner in "Deviant." The reason for using the four different colors of eyeliner is that they offer more versatility in terms of what you can use them for. You can create swirling lines, like I did, as well as straight lines, thin or thick, and create them far more smoothly than any eyeshadow. The different shades allow for blending easily, and creating textures. While my eyes were one thing, I have been totally itching to use those Violent Lips tattoos! I figured that if I couldn't use these for a crazy look based on a sea goddess, I could never use them. They work just like temporary tattoos; you need to cut them to the size of your mouth, and then stick them on with a wet washcloth. I was extremely excited to use these. Not only are they extremely bright blue, they're also sparkly, and permanent the same way that temporary tattoos are. Seriously, as awesome as they are, I had to scrub my mouth to get it off. Still, a very cool thing to have, as long as you can keep it on for a day or two and not earn a lot of stares.
Outcome
So, this is the final result. I think it turned out well, my eyes really looked like how I would draw a wave. The lips, while annoying, also turned out super cool. I like the gradient effect, from white down to the dark blue of my lips. Good? Good.


I don't think it's as stunning when my eyes are closed, but the color gradiation is still cool looking.
Lip closeup, for once not super awkward (except for my nose, don't look up there). Glittery and amazing, in my opinion. 

I tried my hardest to make Amphitrite, the not-quite-goddess, look like the goddess of saltwater and the ocean that she was meant to be, and I think that I succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment