Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Anthousai

Inspiration
The Anthousai are flower spirits, connected to the plants, just as nymphs are connected to their rivers or specific trees. They're most seen in the spring, when their plants are coming back from a cold winter during which they couldn't grow. They are most often pictured as having green skin, tinged with chlorophyl, and it is said that they cry green tears.
Intent
I wanted to create a simple look reminiscent of the green of spring. Though I didn't want to make the entire face green, it's echoed in the eyes. This look isn't as wild and crazy as the others before it, because my sister volunteered to be my model, and would not allow me to do crazy makeup on her. The final product is as crazy as she would go.
Tools & Techniques
 Above, Urban Decay "Alice in Wonderland" Book of Shadows III, I used colors "Underland," top left and "Absolem," bottom left
Above, Sephora rounded shadow brush, Kat Von D Saint Tattoo Eyeliner in Black, and Urban Decay Primer Potion in "Eden"
So, as I said, my sister wouldn't allow me to do anything truly crazy on her eyes, but I did use the two eyeshadow colors to create the springlike effect. The reason I love Urban Decay eyeshadows so much is that the colors are always bright and go on smoothly. They're beautiful, and easily blended together, and when they're applied after the primer "potion" they don't go anywhere. I used the Sephora brush to apply them because it picks up a lot of shadow, and can put the colors precisely where I want them. I usually use sweeping strokes to apply my shadow because Urban Decay is good enough that sweeping strokes don't displace the color that is already there. The reason I used the primer in "Eden" is because it's not clear, it's a shade of nude that makes for bright eyes, and a plain surface to apply to. After the primer and the eyeshadow, I used Kat Von D's Saint eyeliner in black. I love this eyeliner. It came in a set of three; "Poetica," with a chisel-tip which is ideal for drawing cat eyes, "Saint" which is skinny, and good for precise lines, and "Sinner," an extremely thick pen, ideal if you like thick, gothic eyeliner. All three pens are felt-tip, but they're not like liquid eyeliner, they're really like pens. They don't crease, they don't become rubbery like Urban Decay 24/7 Liquid Eyeliner, and they're easy to apply. (to see my entire review of this product, click here: Kat Von D Tattoo Eyeliner Review)
Outcome
 I used the Kat Von D eyeliner to draw a tiny flower on her right eye, and I noticed that the flower sort of tilts downward, changing the appearance of her eye. In contrast, I did a small wing on her left eye, which makes that eye appear more open and awake. the green looks shimmery and pale, and you can barely see the purple, but it's there. I'm not the best photographer, so bear with me.
The closeup on the flower is cool, I think. you can see the colors, and you can see the black eyeliner. The flower itself is probably not the best I could've done, but I like the effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment