Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Cheetah

Inspiration
As you can see, my inspiration has changed from Greek goddesses to animals. The inspiration for this look was a cheetah. Ridiculous as it is, I just love to do the cheetah print on my eyes, and I thought it would be interesting to see if I could make my face look a bit more cheetah-like.

Intent
I wanted to do my favorite thing, cheetah print, on my eyes, as well as make my face a little bit more angular using contouring. My face is pretty round, so contouring helps make my cheekbones look a little bit sharper.

Tools & Techniques
 From top to bottom: my BH Cosmetics 88 Color Palette, Sephora Brand blending brush, drugstore brand small shadow brush 
 The color on the right was used as a sweep of color, from my lash line to my brows, and originally, I thought that it would be bright enough to look the way I wanted it to, unfortunately it didn't. To that end, I used the left-hand gold, which is a much richer, deeper gold, to go over my lid and really make it pop.
 This is the brown color I used for the inside of the spots. I used the small shadow brush to apply it, because it is good for the precision needed in order to keep the darker color in one place, and not just make my entire eye look brown with black spots.
 Originally, I used my Sephora Brand black eyeliner to line my eyes in such a way that they looked a little bit sleepy, and a little bit more almond-shaped (I have pretty round eyes.) That worked pretty well for the first look, the daytime look. When it came to the actual cheetah-eyes, I decided I wanted a bit more precision, and a sharper, cleaner line. For that, I used my Kat Von D black Tattoo Eyeliner in Sinner. I think it had the desired effect.
This lipstick is my MAC Lustre Lipstick in High Tea. I chose it because it's just a nice simple shade of nude, with a golden shimmer to it. It doesn't detract from the awesomeness of my eye makeup.
This eyeshadow is from my Urban Decay Naked Palette, and the shade is called Buck. I used this to contour my cheekbones and make them more prominent, though I'm not entirely sure it worked to my satisfaction. I chose this color because, even though it's an eyeshadow, it's a dark, matte brown that wouldn't reflect the light and therefore would create deeper shadows. I applied this right under my cheekbones with my fluffy shadow brush.

Outcome
These are the pictures of the cheetah-inspired look, the simple day-wear. It's still sort of cool and cheetah-ish in the eyes, and this type of eyeliner (with wings on both sides) makes your eyes more almond-shaped, and sleepier, especially if the wings both face down (facing up makes your eyes look rounder. Also, if the inner corner has a facing-up wing, you'll probably look ridiculous!). the shadow itself is just gold, it's light and pretty, especially for summer.


These are the pictures of the cheetah print look. I love the cheetah spots, and I think that my eyeliner looks good here, the shape of my eyes is changed. 



It was hard to find a good picture of the contouring, but I think this is okay. It almost looks like a shadow, which is the intent.
 I love this. The top eyeliner kind of disappears, which is the point. If you have heavy bottom eyeliner, it draws attention to that, and changes your eye shape. The spots are also clearly a different color than the eyeshadow itself, which was a worry of mine when doing this look. The dark brown shadow pops against the pale gold shimmer.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with this look. My first time contouring didn't turn out so badly, now did it? More animalistic makeup to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment