Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Dog

Inspiration
The inspiration for this look was actually my dog, Gracie. She's a Bernese Mountain Dog-Poodle mix. She's an 85-pound black furball with these eyes that you can't see half the time because she's so black. In my Photo 1 class, I tried to take a picture of her. Even in bright light, she's so black that you can't distinguish her facial features. The point of all this is that I wanted to mimic her eyes, and the darkness that surrounds them.

Intent
I wanted to try and make my eyes look a little bit deeper-set, and I wanted to use some techniques that I know to make my lips look fuller. First, a little warning: my lips look creepy. I wanted to copy the fact that dogs have black lips, and the insides of their mouths are pink.

Tools & Techniques
 From left to right: Sephora Brand blending brush, drugstore brand small eyeshadow brush, Urban Decay's Black Palette, Urban Decay's Naked Palette, NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in "Dolce Vita" and black Sephora Brand eyeliner. 
 I used these two shades, from the Black Palette, to help give the look depth. "Black Dog" is pure matte black, and I used that all over my lids so that they looked a bit sunken. "Barracuda" is more of a gunmetal grey, it's very dark still, but it blended the actual "Gunmetal" (Below) into the black very well. I didn't want there to be a harsh line, it would have ruined the entire effect, so I used my blending brush to mix it all together, and the small drugstore brand brush to apply multiple layers of "Black Dog."

Outcome



These pictures are the basic look, the doable every day look. The one thing that is bothering me about this is that I didn't put as many layers as I needed of "Black Dog" and I forgot the eyeshadow primer so it's a bit...dull. Anyway, I still like this look, it's referred to as "Panda Eyes" or "Raccoon Eyes" if my family is being particularly opinionated. (http://www.stylebubble.co.uk/style_bubble/2011/11/because-i-heart-kay-panda-eyes.html this is just a video about how panda eyes are in.) I love this look, it's so easy because it's only one color, and you can use ANY color. Awesome. Side note: don't ever wear dark/overly bright lipstick with dark/overly bright/colorful eyes. Make the focus of your look one feature. That's why I chose this nude pink lip color to balance out this look.

 I look like a creepy goth kid. It's the black lips. Either way, I'm extremely pleased with the eye-makeup. I think that it actually does make my eyes look deeper-set. 
 The flash washed out the black a little, but you can still see that it's much darker than the silver on my brow bone. I like this shot a ton, it's a good close up, you can see the different colors I used.

Creepy lip close up! I think the black-to-pink fade looks pretty good, what bothers me is the fact that the photograph shows the shape of my lips still. On the plus side, even though black is supposed to make things look small, I think that my lips actually do look fuller. All that's missing is the lolling tongue!

No comments:

Post a Comment