Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Khione

Inspiration
Khione is the daughter of the North wind and an Athenian princess. The North wind, the coldest of the four, could only have his daughter be the goddess of snow and ice. Her name is sometimes spelled Chione, which comes from the Greek word "chion" which means snow. She is often portrayed as one with a dangerous temper, and a penchant for freezing heroes and defrosting them for fun. 
Intent
I wanted to capture her general snowy-ness, and the idea of slight cruelty, a bit of fear. I almost wanted to use the same techniques as I used on Amphitrite in order to create a swirling snow-like pattern.
Tools & Techniques
From left to right: Make Up For Ever Flash Color Case, Nyx Special Effects Theatrical Lashes in "Snow", Smashbox flat ended brush, Too Faced Starry Eyed Liquid Eyeliner in "Silver Lining" and Revlon Lip Butter in "Cotton Candy"
There really aren't that many colors or items that I used for this, but the techniques are a little bit more involved. I said I wanted to create the image of a snowfall, and I only used one color to do that. I covered my entire eye with the white color from my Make Up For Ever palette, and then used the flat brush to create swirls of windblown "snow." I thought that the Make Up For Ever palette would be a good choice, since it goes on smoothly, and is almost the consistency of oil paints, so I thought it would be a good choice for painting swirls onto my face. As it turns out, it's a little bit too much like oil paint, and refuses to stay in place. When my sister was taking the pictures, she asked, "Is there supposed to be a white line in the very middle, and no white around it?" It turns out that there's really no way to stop this paint from creasing, so you have to blend it constantly. (to see my whole review of this, click here: Make Up For Ever Palette Review) Other than gathering in my crease, the swirls stayed on fine, and looked okay. The flat brush was the best brush to use for that, because it allows for more options in terms of application, and is small enough that the color won't just go everywhere. It is ideal for details like that. Though the brush was good, on second thought, I should've used a white eyeliner pencil, because those are more likely to stay put. Aside from that small blunder, everything turned out well. I used the silver glitter liner to add faint sparkles to the look, the way snow does in the sunlight, and I used the lashes because, obviously, they're white. In comparison to the pure white makeup, however, the lashes looked a little bit yellowy, and I that bothered me a little bit. Also, when I opened the lashes, they were giant. No, really. These lashes were almost long enough to use one on both of my eyes. The spine was also a bit unyielding, so it was sort of difficult to apply them correctly. The lip color, I chose because it has a frosted quality to it, and I could have both color and general wintery-ness.
Outcome
 I did notice that the lash on my left eye is badly applied...it makes me look a bit sleepy. And when my mom came in, she said I looked like an alien. It's freaky to not see a dark outline of lashes when you look at someone's eyes, because we're so used to it. Also, note the reflection of silver, it's faint but noticeable, giving an air of glittery snow.
 In the closeup, you can see the faint line of my lashes against the false ones, so it looks a bit more normal I think. in addition, you can now see the silver glitter better, so I like this picture.
 The biggest problem in this picture is that the glue that holds the spine together is yellow, and very noticeable. Aside from that, this is post-re-blending, so it looks a little bit better. No glitter is on my lids, so I think it's a little bit stark compared to what I was thinking of. 
Awkward lip closeup! Note the frostyness, which is my favorite part.
All in all, I think that the outcome was very close to what I was imagining, but some products could be changed. It's also not as scary as I expected, but I still think that it looks interesting and alien.

No comments:

Post a Comment