Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Peacock

Inspiration
The inspiration for this animalistic look was a peacock. Specifically, a peacock feather. I think that peacock feathers are beautiful, and they have so many colors that creating one on my eyes looks interesting, even from far away. Something I didn't know was that peacocks actually have white beaks...that means my lips look really weird here. Anyway, the inspiration was a peacock feather, so that's what I drew.

Intent
I wanted to translate a feather onto my eyes in such a way that from far away it would simply look like sweeping eye shadow, and then when you got closer it would look like the feather. There are so many colors and I wanted them all to stay alone, so that the shape was clear, no matter how hard that seems to be to accomplish.

Tools & Techniques
From left to right: Tarte Eyeliner in "Ballet Dancers," Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner in "Mildew," "Underground," "Graffiti," "Deviant," and "Rockstar," Make Up For Ever 12 Color Flash Case, Sephora Brand angle brush. I like to use eyeliner pencils when I'm actually drawing something, it goes on much more smoothly and stays put in comparison to eyeshadows, or gel liners. The different colors are necessary for the different rings of a peacock's feather, and I recommend using some sort of primer, or your eyeliners will slip and blend together. The Make Up For Ever palette (the one that I really, really don't like) is what I used on my lips. As it turns out, peacocks have white beaks, and so I decided to do white lips. This seemed like the best choice. I used the angle brush to apply it smoothly and avoid hazy outlines and feathering.
Outcome
 This is some creep-tastic lip action. On the plus side, I love the feather, I think the eyeliner created the desired effect. From far away, it just looks like really intense eye makeup.
 Close up on the feather! the green around the outside started to slip a little...but no big deal. 

Creepy white lips! Fortunately, this segues perfectly into my next makeup look. The peacock, c'est fini. And for the record? Don't wear white lipstick.

No comments:

Post a Comment